Together with my son, I'm working on improving the Salt support in Manager 3.
The idea is inspired by SUSE OpenStack Cloud's Crowbar tool:
Provide complete formulas for setting up a certain system to perform a certain role, and expose a form to the user that allows editing user-definable parameters.
What we've accomplished so far:
- set up Eclipse
- git checkout of Manager 3 tree
- Manager 3 VM
- wire it all together (in other words we have a working development environment
- learn how to change and add menu items and translate them
- learn how old-style JSP pages and new-style Jade/React.js pages work in Manager 3
- add a first new screen that shows formulas from an on-disk folder
- add dummy pages for assigning the formulas and a placeholder for the parameter dialog
- Don't edit the React.js bundle files. Those are generated from the source files in another folder.
- When they tell you that your Manager may blow up if you are running new code against an old DB schema, believe them!
- If you've messed the server up, you can recover it with a zypper up. ;-)
A much improved version of this project has made it into SUSE Manager 3 as the "Formulas with Forms" feature!
Looking for hackers with the skills:
Nothing? Add some keywords!
This project is part of:
Hack Week 14
This project is one of its kind!