In need to test distributed NVMe over TCP, I'll hack on nvme-dem.
nvme-dem (Distributed Endpoint Management) is an existing upstream project (see Resources) that aims to provide a centralized discovery controller and management capabilities to configure NVMe targets. It offers both a command line utility and a web interface for management.
Motivation to work on nvme-dem on Hackweek:
- last commit to the project was almost 2 years ago
- it only seems to support FC and RDMA transports, i.e. no TCP (to be confirmed)
- probably missing recent NVMe features and fixes
- initially I wanted to create my own project to achieve a DEM, but since this exists, I thought it would be a good starting point
Goal for this Hackweek
- Learn more about NVMe and NVMe over Fabrics
- Learn internals of nvme-dem project
- implement mDNS functionality (top priority)
- implement current modern features
- ensure supportability for NVMe/TCP
- fix bugs found during hackweek
- implement a (fully emulated) distributed setup
No Hackers yet
This project is part of:
Hack Week 20
This project is one of its kind!