Few months ago I switched my home workstation and media center to Micro OS desktop and I cannot imagine switching back to normal distribution. After some consideration I realized it should work fine (even better) on the notebook I am using for work. I need a clean reinstall anyway as after almost 2 years, stuff is quite messy. So why not doing both things in one go?
Do a general cleanup of my work notebook, replace current Tumbleweed with MicroOS. If it goes smoothly I will try looking for a solution how to maintain and update multiple toolboxes. Might try writing a script that uses podman API.
Goal for this Hackweek
- make a proper backup of everything
- make a list of applications I currently use
- check which can be covered with appimages, flatpaks and which are not covered by any solution.
- reinstall OS
- create toolboxes for applications not covered by flatpak/appimage
- if there is not other option, install apps inside root image
I decided to document the project on my confluence page below: https://confluence.suse.com/display/~lpalovsky/MicroOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZLckDUDYjw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F7iCntjWB8 https://dariofaggioli.wordpress.com/2020/10/16/opensuse-microos-as-your-desktop-install/ https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:MicroOS http://docs.podman.io/en/latest/
Looking for hackers with the skills:
Nothing? Add some keywords!
This project is part of:
Hack Week 20
This project is one of its kind!