initramfs components have exploded in size, yet often remain static:
- Modules get updated with the kernel
- Firmware gets updated independently (
- Some drivers need big firmware files (e.g. Nouveau), that are independent of the module version.
The kernel supports loading multiple concatenated cpio files, but:
- GRUB needs to be configured to load these.
- Tools like
dracutneed to produce multiple files (?).
- Digital Signatures?
- Does this work with Gummiboot/systemd-boot?
- Does this work with rEFInd?
Goal for this Hackweek
The aim is to reduce the required storage and to simplify updates.
As part of this project a tiny alternative boot environment could be developed, so that it's faster and updated independently from the OS.
This project is one of its kind!