Base Linux is a new distribution developed from scratch. It aims to have the stricter packaging system, to be customizable and to work as a base for other Linux distributions in all kind of environments, from desktop to servers and embedded systems.
Why start a new distribution now? - To research possible improvements in a landscape where most distributions are mostly the same as 10/15/20 years ago - To try and unify projects like OpenSUSE, ALP, buildroot into the same base project
The main features of this distro are:
- Packages files written in Oil language, stricter and without macros or bash workarounds
- Automated packages files, similar to Void Linux/Exherbo
- Source based distro with customizations USE-like from Gentoo/Exherbo
- Being able to provide a binary distribution on top with specific needs/features/contraints/components (main goal of the distro)
- Build packages from scratch tailored for containers without depending on any distro
Goal for this Hackweek
Since this project is starting from scratch, the goal is to have a minimal bootstrapped distribution base by developing a package manager and defining a package format without using any USE-flag for the moment.
Looking for hackers with the skills:
Nothing? Add some keywords!
This project is part of:
Hack Week 22
This project is one of its kind!
Be the first to comment!