Many people face challenges when trying to renegotiate their mortgages with different banks. They receive offers from multiple lenders and struggle to compare them effectively. Each proposal may have slightly different terms and data presentation, making it hard to make informed decisions. Additionally, understanding the impact of various taxes and variables can be complex. The Mortgage Plan Analyzer project aims to address these issues.
The Mortgage Plan Analyzer is a web-based tool built using PHP, Laravel, Livewire, and AdminLTE/bootstrap. It provides a user-friendly platform for individuals to input basic specifications about their mortgage, adjust taxes and variables, and obtain short-term projections for each proposal. Users can also compare multiple mortgage offers side by side, enabling them to make informed decisions about their mortgage renegotiation.
Why Start This Project:
I found myself in this position and most tools I found around are either for marketing/selling purposes or not flexible enough. As i was starting getting lost in a jungle of spreadsheets i thought I could just create a tool to help me and others that may be experiencing the same struggles to provide clarity and transparency in the decision-making process.
Goal for this Hackweek
By the end of the week, I'm planning to have a basic web application with the following features:
- User-friendly interface for inputting mortgage specifications like the loan amount, term, fixed and variable terms taxes.
- Display of financial plan
- Ability to adjust taxes and variables to see their impact on financial plan.
- Aesthetically pleasing output using AdminLTE/bootstrap for a pleasant and intuitive user experience.
Future plans include:
- Financial projections for each proposal.
- Side-by-side comparison of multiple mortgage offers.
- Have a running instance on some free cloud server like vercel or oracle cloud
Afterwards we can just generalize the tool to fit every type of loan
- Banco de Portugal: Main simulator all portuguese banks have to follow ( https://clientebancario.bportugal.pt/credito-habitacao )
- Laravel: A PHP web application framework for building robust and scalable applications. ( https://laravel.com/ )
- AdminLTE: A responsive admin dashboard template for creating a visually appealing interface. ( https://adminlte.io/ )
- GitHub: We will host the project on GitHub for version control and collaboration. ( bet you didn't know this one, https://github.com/ )
- Vercel ( https://vercel.com/ ) or Oracle Cloud ( https://www.oracle.com/cloud/free/ ): Consideration will be given to hosting a running instance of the application using Vercel or Oracle Cloud's free tier, ensuring accessibility and availability.
This will be my first collaborative project in github. I'm pretty confident about setting up the bases of the project and financial math around it but i'll probably need some help:
- supporting multi language ( if i have to pick only one language, probably will choose Portuguese as this will for sure fit their needs and i'm more comfortable with Portuguese financial slang)
- setting up the running instance (as i'm not familiar neither with vercel nor oracle cloud services)
This project is part of:
Hack Week 23