I run openSUSE TW and FF with i7-5600U Intel CPU. Calls with ~4 (video) participants work but my CPU load is approaching number of cores. In slightly bigger calls (>=6 participants) the CPU load was insufficient and audio packets were being dropped. I'd like learn more about webrtc video streams in order to reduce the client's CPU work or make it more adaptive when running with limited resources.
Goal for this Hackweek
- Prepare a testbench for stressing a client (likely bunch of extrinsic VMs with v4l2loopback).
- Learn about webrtc and browser API wrt video.
- Profile CPU work -- where the time is spent.
- (Reduction: reap any low-hanging fruits discovered in the profile.)
- (Adaptibility: figure out to how to recognize tight-CPU situations in the client and ensure audio QoS.)
This project is part of:
Hack Week 20